Saturday, December 13, 2014

12 Days of Christmas! Day 2- Harry Potter

I was originally going to post about a book for a slightly younger audience but there is so much buzz about Harry Potter right now since J. K. Rowling is posting 12 short stories on the Pottermore website for her 12 days of Christmas, that I surely couldn't wait to write about my favourite boy wizard!


Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

By J. K. Rowling


My thoughts:
I received this book from my aunt for Christmas when I was 10 which is, in my opinion, the absolute perfect time to get a book about wizards who go to a magical school when they are 11.  Harry Potter and the characters within the novel are completely relatable.  For me, given that I, too, have no parents (though mine did die in an actual car accident, as far as I know), and given that I also have a scar on my forehead from my parents' accident (though it is not lightning shaped) there was no way I would ever give up on Harry Potter, or his ability to have a great life.

My Synopsis:
Harry Potter lives in a cupboard under the stairs of his aunt and uncle's house.  While his cousin is a spoiled brat, Harry lives much like a beggar, who must do whatever is asked of him so he isn't yelled at or abused.  He knows something strange is going on when he begins to receive letters, letters that even mention that he has the cupboard under the stairs as a bedroom.  Although his aunt and uncle try to keep him from the letters, there is no way to fight destiny.  What will become of Harry when he realizes who he really is, who his parents really were, and how his parents were really killed?


Age Recommendation:
I would recommend this book for children/young people around 9-10 or older.  I found that the books grew with me, as I aged between each book, with the final book coming out when I was an adult.  Although I have known some people that have read these books with children, I feel that the magic that is these books should be something everyone can experience on their own.  The books were originally written at the young people level, and slowly travel up to young adult as the characters age, with language easily understood by people around the 10 year age.


If you visit J. K. Rowling's Amazon Author Page you can learn more about the woman behind the fabulous world of Harry Potter.



If you like this review, and the writing style of this quirky reviewer, please consider visiting and liking my Facebook author page: Lizzy March.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment